The property is situated on the edge of Llechryd village accessed via a long tarmac driveway off the highway. The property is surrounded by its own land of around 7 acres with plenty of parking space for the potential apartment owners.
The larger towns of Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn are some 10 - 15 drivetime away with the nearest beaches being at Poppit Sands and Aberporth.
The whole area of Pembrokeshire is renowned for its natural beauty, undulating landscape and stunning coastline whilst still providing convenient access into the area via the now toll free M4 motorway from England.
PLEASE NOTE :
The £925,000 asking price for Hammet@Castell Malgwyn includes a basic inventory of the property, items of which are to be agreed with our client when negotiations on price take place. It does NOT include antiques, artwork or other personal items belonging to our client.
History of Hammet @ Castell Malgwyn Hotel
The present house was constructed c.1795 for Sir Benjamin Hammet, a wealthy entrepreneur from Taunton, Somerset, who bought the estate in 1791. It is built in three storeys of local Cilgerran stone with a hipped slate roof, a five-bay frontage and a two-storey wing. It replaced a previous house and was originally named Castle Malgwyn.
Hammet, who founded and co-owned the bank of Esdaile, Hammet & Co. was elected MP for his home town of Taunton in 1782. The grounds were landscaped by local landscaper, Charles Price.
After Hammet's death in 1802 the estate passed to his son, John. On John's early death in 1811 the house contents were sold. When Sir Benjamin's wife Lady Louisa died in 1824 the estate was sold to Abel Anthony Gower of Glandovan, who let the property. On Gower's death in 1837 his nephew, Abel Lewes Gower, inherited and moved in, investing a large amount of money on improving the property. When he also died young in 1849 his widow remained in residence until her own death in 1886, when it passed to Abel Lewes's brother, Robert Frederick Gower, who had also inherited Glandovan from their father. Castell Malgwyn passed down in the Gower family until it was sold in 1948, and became a hotel in 1962.
The house was renamed Hammet House in 2012 in recognition of the original owner, but renamed Hammet@Castell Malgwyn in 2017.
Further extensive history of the house over several hundred years can be found here at
Website for the hotel is
however please contact ourselves who are acting under a sole selling rights agreement in order to arrange a viewing at a convenient time for our clients.
TRADE: Our clients will discuss trading figures when viewing to seriously interested parties.
Lounge Bar Area
Function / Ballroom
Owners/Staff Quarters To Rear
Office / Meeting Room
Food Prep Room
Three Store Rooms
Letting Bedrooms on 1st and 2nd Floors
In all there are 16 letting bedrooms in addition to staff quarters to the rear. Varying in size with the largest and best rooms, as expected to the front on the first floor overlooking the grounds.
The sixteen bedrooms are a spectacular blend of old and new. The light and airy Georgian rooms are styled with contemporary furnishings and facilities to create a beguiling mix. Bathrooms are stocked with luxury toiletries and fluffy towels. Refreshment trays are filled with whole-leaf teas, freshly ground, Welsh-roasted coffee and lovingly made. home-baked goods. A selected number of the rooms are also dog-friendly!
The hotel offers a range of rooms from 'Good', 'Better' and 'Best'. They also have the 'Family Room', which has a kingsized bed, adjoining bathroom to the children's twin bedroom.
"Chic, modern styling and skilled cuisine in an impressive country house" Comment from AA Inspector, 2018
The hotel also have packages for those travelling with their dog(s) , which include pawsecco, treats and a dog bed.
Superb lawned grounds around the house, in all about 7 acres. There is plenty of parking space for guest parking to the front of the house, all accessed via a long driveway to the house from the highway.
Various photographs are attached here showing the grounds, parking areas, etc in the summer together with a land plan of the property for illustration purposes.
From Newcastle Emlyn, proceed on the A484 to Llechryd. Take the left turn over the river bridge and the entrance to Hammet @ Castell Malgwyn is immediately on the right-hand side.