Entrance via covered open front porch leading to front door with stained glass panels accessing:
27' 5'' x 6' 6'' (8.35m x 1.98m)
With exposed beams to ceiling, quarry tiled flooring, doors off to sitting room, inner hallway and kitchen/breakfast room, radiator.
17' 5'' x 13' 8'' (5.30m x 4.16m)
With feature sash bay window to the front, multi-fuel stove set on a slate hearth in exposed stone fireplace, exposed beams, radiator.
Kitchen / Breakfast Room
16' 2'' x 15' 2'' (4.92m x 4.62m)
With sash bay window to the front, "Hergom" oil-fired cooking range set in former fireplace with beam over, a range of timber base units with work surface over, built-in corner cupboard, Belfast-style sink with teak draining board either side with tiled splash backs, space for fridge/freezer, further full length storage cupboards, exposed beams to ceiling, flagstone flooring, doors to utility, inner hallway and porch.
9' 7'' x 6' 7'' (2.92m x 2.01m)
With part-glazed stable-style door to the front, steps down to:
6' 7'' x 5' 8'' (2.01m x 1.73m)
With window to side, space and plumbing for washing machine, quarry tiled flooring.
With staircase to the first floor, steps down to the lower ground floor, doors off to library, shower room and dining room, quarry tiled flooring, beamed ceiling.
7' 7'' x 6' 8'' (2.31m x 2.03m)
With obscured glazed window to side, part-exposed A-frames and timbers, tiled shower cubicle with "Mira" shower unit, pedestal wash hand basin, low-level flush WC, radiator.
17' 8'' x 17' 8'' (5.38m x 5.38m) Max
With window to rear, part-exposed A-frames, exposed floorboards and exposed stone wall, radiator.
16' 9'' x 16' 9'' (5.10m x 5.10m)
With window to side providing views over the gardens & grounds, fireplace with "Efel" oil-fired stone inset with marble surround and set on a tiled hearth, arched recess, 2 radiators.
Accessed via staircase in the inner hallway and leading to a half-landing with window to side with window seat and on up to the main landing.
First Floor Landing Area
With exposed beams and timbers, built-in airing cupboard, staircase to 2nd floor, doors off to:
16' 9'' x 16' 8'' (5.10m x 5.08m)
With window to the side, fireplace (not working) with timber mantle and surround.
18' 8'' x 8' 4'' (5.69m x 2.54m)
With exposed "A" frames & timbers, 2 Velux roof windows to the side, built-in under-eaves storage, radiator.
17' 5'' x 14' 0'' (5.30m x 4.26m)
With sash window to the front with window seat from where views over the front gardens can be enjoyed, exposed stone fireplace with timber over, exposed beams and timbers, 2 radiators.
13' 9'' x 11' 3'' (4.19m x 3.43m)
With sash window to the front, again with window seat and views over the front garden, exposed beams and timbers.
Bedroom 6 / Study
10' 10'' x 5' 10'' (3.30m x 1.78m)
With sash window to the front, radiator.
9' 10'' x 5' 6'' (2.99m x 1.68m)
With window to the side, roll-top claw foot bath, pedestal wash hand basin, low level flush WC, part-tiled walls, exposed ceiling timbers, radiator.
Accessed via the staircase from the first floor landing and giving access to:
2nd Floor Landing Area
With vaulted ceiling and exposed timbers, Velux roof window to side, door into master suite, access to games room.
20' 9'' x 17' 6'' (6.32m x 5.33m) max
With double-glazed window to the front, 2 Velux roof windows to rear, vaulted ceiling and exposed A-frames and timbers, exposed wall timbers, built-in cupboard for storage and housing the cold water tank, door into en-suite bathroom, door into dressing room/nursery, 2 radiators.
18' 1'' x 7' 1'' (5.51m x 2.16m)
With Velux roof windows to the front and rear, window to side, claw-footed roll top bath, pedestal wash hand basin, low level flush WC, part-tiled walls, exposed A-frames and timbers, radiator.
Dressing Room / Nursery
17' 2'' x 8' 10'' (5.23m x 2.69m)
With Velux roof window to front, exposed A-frames and timbers, radiator.
Bedroom 8 / Games Room
16' 7'' x 13' 0'' (5.05m x 3.96m)
Accessed via a small step ladder with Velux roof windows to the sides, exposed timbers and floorboards, built-in under-eaves storage cupboards.
Lower Ground Floor Annexe
With its own front door access from the rear courtyard and also from the inner hallway via steps.
Kitchen / Living Room
17' 10'' x 15' 0'' (5.43m x 4.57m)
With double-glazed window to rear, door out to rear courtyard, feature inglenook fireplace with former bread oven, exposed ceilng beams and wall timber panelling, exposed stone wall, flagstone flooring, large deep ceramic sink with slate surface to one side with drainage channel, space for cooker, built-in pantry, built-in cupboard housing the oil-fired boiler serving the central heating and hot water, door to inner hallway with utility and door off to double bedroom.
With space and plumbing for washing machine and tumble dryer, space for fridge freezer, exposed ceiling timbers and wall timbers, tiled flooring, steps providing access to the main residence inner hallway, door to bedroom, door to bathroom.
16' 7'' x 16' 5'' (5.05m x 5.00m)
With double-glazed window to the side and double-glazed window to rear, exposed ceiling timbers, floorboards and exposed stone to one wall, 2 radiators
8' 6'' x 6' 2'' (2.59m x 1.88m)
With double-glazed window to rear, panelled bath, wash hand basin, low level flush WC, part-tiled walls, exposed beams to ceiling, exposed wall timbers, tiled flooring, radiator.
To the front of the house is a garden area with a round Celtic-circle patio accessed across a small bridge over the attractive fish pond edged by rocks and plants. There are beds and borders well stocked with a variety of plants, shrubs and trees, and a pergola with climbing roses. Near the parking area and drive is a former vegetable garden, with access into a small paddock. The property also has the benefit of a gently sloping pasture paddock, situated to the rear of the house and bounded by natural hedging, native trees and some post and rail and stock fencing. The paddock also has separate gated access from the country lane.
Used by the current owner for storage but could have a variety of other purposes. Arranged in 2 sections, the first 16' 2'' x 15' 6'' (4.92m x 4.72m) has a small stable door to the front. The second section 15' 6'' x 14' 10'' (4.72m x 4.52m) has a large stable door to the side. There is also a lean-to storage room to the side (former poultry shed).
Barn with Stables/Workshop
Located opposite the stone barn, across the yard area are 3 pony boxes and a stable with doors to front measuring as follows:
10' 8'' x 4' 7'' (3.25m x 1.40m)
10' 8'' x 7' 0'' (3.25m x 2.13m)
10' 8'' x 7' 2'' (3.25m x 2.18m)
Stable: 15' 6'' x 13' 10'' (4.72m x 4.21m) currently used as a workshop.
Former Hay Barn
20' 0'' x 10' 0'' (6.09m x 3.05m)
Located to the rear of the barn.
Paddock And Views
More Gardens And Patio
Side View Of House
In nearly 20 years of selling literally hundreds and hundreds of houses in this area I have only ever come across 2 houses that I would consider buying.....this is one of the two !!
It is very rare that when you walk into a house there is so much history in the very fabric of the building that you can actually "feel it"......in Ynyswen I did....in bucket loads !
If you love that feeling and can appreciate it then you'll love this house. Some buyers will not understand this concept....and consequently Ynyswen will not talk to them in the same way........but if this old house wants you she'll embrace you...its a lovely feeling !!
The property is set deep in the beautiful Carmarthenshire countryside above the Cothi Valley. Local attractions include the National Botanic Gardens of Wales, Aberglasney House and Gardens, Dryslwyn Castle, Brechfa Forest and a bit further away the Brecon Beacons National Park.
The local village of Nantgeredig has a primary school and is just over 3 miles away whilst the larger county town of Carmarthen is some 8.5 miles away which has a hospital, railway station, very good shopping facilities, university college and access onto the A48/M4 link road.
Description and History of Ynyswen House
Taken from“Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families” written by Francis Jones, published by Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, 1987
Now an interesting farmstead on a slope near Pont-yr-ynys-wen, two and a quarter miles north-east of Pontargothi. Home of the land-owning family of Lloyd who traced to the Cardiganshire chieftain Gwyddno Garanhir, 'Lord of Cantre'r Gwealod'. His descendant, Llywelyn Ddu, lived at Ynys-wen,'Neuadd Wen Llywelyn Ddu ... Ac unadail gwyn ydyw', so described by L G Cothi in his poem to Llywelyn's grandson, Gwilym ap Sion, Esquire to the Body of Henry VII. The poet, who addressed him as 'William Sion', tells us that his host was also a poet, and they spent time reading together Welsh history and examining pedigrees; praises his hospitality and that of his parents; compliments him on his wealth, and the prospect he has of placing his children in offices of authority in Carmarthenshire
His great grandson Sion ap Gwallter died at Ynyswen in 1545, and was followed by his son David Lloyd who married Margaret a natural daughter of John Vaughan of Golden grove. David, a J.P. was High Sheriff in 1612. He signed his pedigree for Dwwn in 1596 as 'Dio Lloyd John'. By Margaret he had ten sons and a daughter, none of whom left male issue. The third son, Gruffydd Lloyd, inherited Ynyswen,probably as his two elder brothers had died, and was High Sheriff in 1621. He sold Abercothi and otherparts of the estate to George Jones, who died in the year of his shrievalty 1633. Gruffydd Lloyd bequeathed £40 to the poor of Llanegwad chargeable on Cerrig Bychan Farm. After this Ynyswen ceased to be used primarily as a residence and was rented to farmers. From the Jones family the Abercothi and Ynyswen estates passed by marriage to the Williams family, and in 1709 passed by purchase to the Lewis family, and Erasmus Lewis (d.1753) bequeathed the estate to the family of Morgan. In 1777 a survey made of the Abercothi estate for the owner George Morgan, included the Ynyswen estate which consisted of Ynyswen demesne (208 acres) and numerous other farms. A sale catalogue of the period 1848-50 offered the Ynyswen estate, 'comprehending the very old family residence of Yniswen (266 acres)’. About 1865-70 Ynyswen was sold to the Bath family of Alltyferin, and in 1923 the Bath estate was offered for sale, and Ynyswen was described as 'an old-fashioned Mansion house of ancient days, and is a property which forms an attractive holding (214 acres) being so complete and varied, consisting of a stone-built house, Carnarvon-slated, 2 parlours, kitchen, back-kitchen,4 bedrooms, and farm buildings’. [Inscription on house: 'Built at the Charge of Thomas Lewis 1718']
The vendors also mentioned that Carmarthenshire supported Henry VII when he landed in Pembrokeshire and Sir Rhys ap Thomas of Dynevor raised an army of 500 trained horsemen from his lands around Carew Castle in Pembrokeshire, and from the Towy valley, which included the menfolk of Ynyswen. Sir Rhys and his Welsh army were instrumental in bringing Henry VII to the throne after Richard III was killed at the Battle of Bosworth (supposedly by Sir Rhys himself.) He was rewarded by being given Welsh lands and by being knighted on the battlefield and made Governor of Wales. Gwilym ap Sion of Ynyswen, was rewarded for his part by being made Esquire to the Body of Henry VII, a notable achievement.John Brunker, a former schoolmaster and antiquarian of Llanegwad, mentioned that there were burial stones relating to the family of Ynyswen dating back to the 12th century and perhaps earlier, in a time when this house truly was "the Great Hall of Ynyswen". When the church was still in use, the Vicar showed us one of these stones which is in the wall inside the main body of the church, on the far right hand side.Also, the historian David Austin claimed that the property is a 15th century 'L' shape hall house, and that there is a stone set in the internal wall of the "llanegwad" church with "Ynyswen" written in medieval script.(Llanegwad village is 3.3 miles south of the property across the A40, in the River Towy Valley.)
From St Clears go into Carmarthen on the A40. At the first round abouttake the 3rd exit and at the next roundabout take the first exit and on the third round about take the 3rd exit (stay on A40). On the 4th roundabout take the 2nd exit towards Llandeilo staying on A40. Go straight ahead at the next round about staying on A40. Continue through the villages of Nantgaredig and Pontargothi. As you leave Pontargothi, take the left turn signposted Llanfynydd. Continue on this road for 2 miles and take the left turn for Brechfa. After half a mile you will see an iron bridge on the left. Proceed across the bridge and take the first left turn just over the bridge. Proceed approx 350m up the zig-zag hill and the drive to the house is in front of you.
Viewings: Strictly by appointment with the agents, Houses For Sale in Wales.
Services: Mains electricity, private water (spring), private drainage (septic tank), oil-fired central heating.
Council Tax Band G, Carmarthenshire County Council - (2019/20 £2529.94)
The house is Grade II Listed.
Our client has advised that a planning permission for change of access (across the side lawn) was lodged and paid for on 12th September 2020. Reference: PP09035018